Generation-MSX

Remake of ... see also .... re-release?

Posted by Manuel 
Remake of ... see also .... re-release?
May 30, 2006 10:42PM
Hi,

Sandy just added a remake-of and see-also field. This is (if you ask me) meant for the following:

remake-of: to indicate that this game is a remake, actually a re-release of an earlier game from the same company, with e.g. brushed up graphics or a different title. Example: Burgerkill is a remake of Mac Attack. Many games from The Games Collection are remakes of older Aackosoft games. But please do not consider Time Rider (Eurosoft) a remake of Time Pilot (Konami). They are very similar, but:

See-also: this is meant to hint the visitor for a similar game, but not a re-release or a remake. I don't think it should be used to point from Ys-II to Ys-I, e.g., but more for pointing to Time Pilot from Time Curb, or pointing to Pacman from Oh Shit!

If you don't agree with this, I think there should be another extra field to indicate re-releases...
ANyway, at least this is all a bit unclear. Maybe we need some central place to agree on what the different fields in the database are meant for? Or is this forum good enough?

Grtjs, Manuel

PS: MSX FOR EVER! (Questions? [faq.msxnet.org] )
PPS: Visit my homepage at [manuel.msxnet.org]
Re: Remake of ... see also .... re-release?
May 30, 2006 10:55PM
There are more 'rules' to think of:

- when do you say a game is for both MSX-1 and MSX-2? Personally, I think you should only mention the minimum MSX-version unless it offers extras on higher MSX versions (so, e.g. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade should be only "MSX1" and Nemesis 3 should be both MSX1 and MSX2, because it uses the pallette of MSX2 and higher on those machines).

- don't upload screenshots of cracked versions with crack texts in them... Only the original unmodified title screens are interesting. But maybe it's better to have this than no screenshot at all?
May 31, 2006 12:19AM
What about remakes of MSX games made nowadays for the PC (or other platforms)?

Nowadays there are a lot of remakes for the PC from MSX games. Maybe we can mention them too.

May 31, 2006 12:58AM
I think those are more of the "Conversions" type. Not exactly the same, but the re-release type of remake I meant (which Sandy implemented) is a game one can refer to in the same database; so a normal MSX game.
May 31, 2006 07:28PM
Manuel Wrote:
> See-also: this is meant to hint the visitor for a
> similar game, but not a re-release or a remake. I
> don't think it should be used to point from Ys-II
> to Ys-I, e.g.

Well, the latter is already done now.... On the other hand: maybe we should consider sequels similar games as well. They mostly are, I guess... So maybe it's not that bad after all.
June 01, 2006 05:29PM
"a remake-of and see-also field"

it sounds good idea for me!

Me too thinks "this game is for MSX and MSX2" bit weird, but anyway... since same thing is used countless times in 1980s game boxes, "for both MSX and MSX2", is it wrong to change it?

But still it is a bit strange to mention that MSX game does works on MSX2 (or then it doesn´t! so MSX2 is non-standard system 5;oD ...but anyway..)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login