Generation-MSX

Fharanx - The Holy Grail of Japanese RPG's Translation Challenge

Posted by Athlor 
Fharanx - The Holy Grail of Japanese RPG's Translation Challenge
October 20, 2008 11:31AM
- I'm an avid RPG fanatic and when I discovered this small Enix RPG called Fharanx, I was shocked. The time it was created puts it right between the first Ultima RPG's and Dragon Warrior. It's influence is obvious when you play it. It has a more serious tone than Dragon Warrior. While I can play it to some extent, not knowing Japanese, I know I'll never fully grasp it until it is translated into english. The game itself isn't all that great tp play BUT it's significance as being an Enix RPG and 'The Missing Link' makes it worth more to me and I'd think many other RPG fans.
- It actually shouldn't be too hard if you know both languages. It's a small tape program made up of 3 parts, a small Basic loader, a binary that contains maps and custom character set and the main 20k Basic program. Yes, a real Enix RPG that you can list and see the Basic source.
- So somebody please, please take up this challenge and become a hero to me and other hardcore RPG fans!
[www.generation-msx.nl]

Django, are you interested?
Re: Fharanx - The Holy Grail of Japanese RPG's Translation Challenge
October 22, 2008 05:54PM
I didn't know this game. I have not found it !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2008 05:09PM by DJANGO.
October 24, 2008 02:28PM
I found this liitle 17k file on another site. The loader and role1.bas can be listed with:
POKE&HFF89,44:POKE&H8001,9:POKE&H8003,5:POKE&H8004,0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 02:38PM by Athlor.
Attachments:
open | download - Fharanx.zip (17.3 KB)
October 24, 2008 02:45PM
thanks
October 26, 2008 03:36AM
There is some text scattered in the MAP1.BIN file as well. Also I think it would even more useful to have a disk image version instead of the tape version that it is now. I attempted to make a disk version but failed. I had not figured out if it was the tape/disk binary file difference or odd MSX model configuration. As I'm sure you've noticed by now, this game didn't work on many MSX models.
Good Luck and if I could help in any other way let me know.
October 27, 2008 07:51AM
If you like RPG, try my new translation of this very good game "La Valeur - Kogado"
November 04, 2008 12:24PM
Here is a small world map I put together you could add to it.
Attachments:
open | download - SmMap16.png (2.7 KB)
May 17, 2013 10:44AM
This game is now fully translated in english by Django.

[www.django.lysardo.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login