Generation-MSX

Phantis

Posted by Lazzeri 
Phantis
April 18, 2012 04:41AM
Cover scan for the Dinamic original release.
Attachments:
open | download - Phantis.jpg (750.8 KB)
Re: Phantis
April 20, 2012 11:06PM
Added, thanks... Strangely enough the game seems to have 2 product codes... Can you look at side 1 of the tape, to see if it has the code ending with 13 there? (It ends on 14 on side 2, according to some existing photos...)

Grtjs, Manuel

PS: MSX FOR EVER! (Questions? [faq.msxnet.org] )
PPS: Visit my homepage at [manuel.msxnet.org]
April 29, 2012 03:59AM
Sorry about my delay. :-)

A cold beer in my hand, wife watching TV, baby girl asleep... I guess I´m back in business! :-)

So here it is. Side one says NOTHING; side two says MSX870014.

BUT.. Side one says Phantis-1, and side two says Phantis-2. And the box clearly said "FX Doble Carga", meaning two games on a single tape.

Could it be Phantis I, MSX870013 on side A, and Phantis II, MSX870014 on side B? They are on the same cassete but Dinamic considered them two separate games? That´s were my money is.

Regards,
Marco
April 29, 2012 01:27PM
These games usually have 2 parts, one on side one and the other on side 2. You usually have to enter a password which you get at the end of part 1...

Grtjs, Manuel

April 29, 2012 02:31PM
It's what Manuel suggsted: not two games, but one (Phantis) consisting of two parts one on each side of the tape. That's the reason for the "FX doble carga" marketing strategy ;)

MSX Cassettes! (All about MSX soft dumping and presevation)
[msxcassettes.wordpress.com]
April 29, 2012 03:02PM
Actually I´ve finished both back in the day, I´m more than aware of the password system. Same goes for Army Moves I and II, and Navy Moves I and II.

I´ve played a LOT of Navy Moves II back in the day, BTW. :-)

Does any of you guys have a better explanation for this game having two different product codes? And the second code being hardcoded on the side B?

Also for different game names on each side of the tapes?

I´m pretty curious right now. ;-)
April 29, 2012 03:32PM
I think the product code on the sleeve is a misprint, as it's the same as Rocky. This is also what I put in the database.

Grtjs, Manuel

April 29, 2012 03:43PM
I see. Interesting!

And what about the "Phantis" / "Game Over II" confusion? What do you guys think?

Apparently "Game Over II" was never released in Spain by Dinamic, it is just a modded version of Phantis with its logo changed to "Game Over II" and released only on UK. At least that´s how it works on Spectrum!

[www.worldofspectrum.org]

Here in G-MSX "Game Over II" has a listed Spanish Released by Dinamic with no pictures of it. Has it been confirmed anywhere?

Regards,
Marco|

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2012 03:46PM by Lazzeri.
April 29, 2012 05:03PM
This is my little research, just out of pure interest. The first review of the Spectrum release of Game Over II in the British press dates from November 1988. I have reviewed every issue of the Spanish magazine MSX - Club de programas from June 1988 throught June 1989 and there is no preview or review. Strange indeed since at least one preview or review of the Dinamic title (Dinamic arguably being the most well-known Spanish developer/publisher) would be expected in a one-year time span. So my guess is Game Over II for the MSX was only released for the British market, unless the contrary could be proven. And I'd like to hear about it. So I'd suggest removing Dinamic as publisher in the videogame profile so as to avoid further confusion.

April 29, 2012 05:07PM
Agreed, until we find some evidence of a Dinamic release of Game Over II, we can always add it again. I removed the Dinamic release for now.

Grtjs, Manuel

April 29, 2012 05:10PM
I've read this thread very quick... but I tell you this information: in the 80s, I bought an original copy of Game Over I and II, this realease is named "Special Double Pack" (with a poster included).
In total 2 cassettes.
Unfortunately first cassette doesn't contain Game Over I, but I think it's a mistake.
Instead, cassette number 2 contain Game Over II.
This is an official release of Dynamic, sold in Italy. I could scan box if you need a proof.
April 29, 2012 05:13PM
A scan is most welcome, as always!

Grtjs, Manuel

April 29, 2012 05:14PM
Hi nrgo,

can you scan the cover and the poster :) then we can add it to the software database.

regards,

Sandy
April 29, 2012 05:21PM
Certainly! We look forward to your scan! A fact that'd prove Game Over II was a product targeted to foreign markets. Dinamic released a number of compilations of their own stuff e.g. Dinamic 5º aniversario or Lo mejor de Dinamic, at least, for the Spanish market. Dinamic 5º aniversario listed Phantis (own the box); Lo mejor de Dinamic listed Phantis and Game Over as far as I remember.

Now, the point is nrgo's info is well supported by the fact that the same title (Game Over I and II) was released for the Spectrum by Imagine:
[www.worldofspectrum.org]

So yes, nrgo, I trust your word. It's just that I'd like it so much to have a good look at your photos/scans ;)

April 30, 2012 12:22PM
Mmmh... just see Phantis and Game Over II screenshots... Very strange what I own for Game Over 1 and 2...
This evening I'll made some scans and let you see...
April 30, 2012 11:18PM
Entry updated with front cover of Game Over II Special Double Pack...
[www.generation-msx.nl]
More stuff will come.
April 30, 2012 11:38PM
Great scan! Thanks for sharing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login