Generation-MSX
Manic Miner Cheat Codes
May 14, 2020 12:12AM
Hi all.

I was searching the internet for MSX Manic Miner cheat codes and I have not seen that they have been published previously. Surprisingly, because the codes for the Spectrum versions have been known since the 80s. So I started the debugger in openMSX and after a while I found the codes. Here are the cheats:

During gameplay, press W to pause the game, then input the code XRAYTUBEI for infinite lives and/or XRAYTUBEC for choosing levels. If done correctly, an INFINITE LIVES and/or CHOOSE CAVERNS text will appear on the bottom-left and/or bottom-right corner of the screen. Once done, you unpause the game by pressing a motion key. The levels can then be accessed by pressing down a combination of specific number keys, and finally pressing 0 key also. The complete list of numbers keys combinations is as follows:

none Central Cavern
1 The Cold Room
2 The Menagerie
2+1 Abandoned Uranium Workings
3 Eugene's Lair
3+1 Processing Plant
3+2 The Vat
3+2+1 Miner Willy meets the Kong Beast
4 Wacky Amoebatrons
4+1 The Endorian Forest
4+2 Attack of the Mutant Telephones
4+2+1 Return of Alien Kong Beast
4+3 Ore Refinery
4+3+1 Skylab Landing Bay
4+3+2 The Bank
4+3+2+1 The Sixteenth Cavern
5 The Warehouse
5+1 Amoebatrons Revenge
5+2 Solar Power Generator
5+2+1 The Final Barrier

Enjoy.
Re: Manic Miner Cheat Codes
May 14, 2020 06:29PM
Thanks, I have added them.

Do note that various cheats had been published in books and magazines back in the day, and some of those are linked on the "Information" tab. I did not compare them though.
Re: Manic Miner Cheat Codes
May 15, 2020 10:49AM
Yes, that's right. Before I start searching for the passwords inside the game code, I was intensively searching for the cheats on internet in case they were already published. And I found and reviewed all the cheats you mention in the information tab. But they are only the pokes to modify the number of lives. I think, although I'm not completely sure, that the passwords have not been published before. At least I have been unable to find them. And believe me, I looked for them everywhere before I get to work with the game code.

What I did find in this forum was that in Jet Set Willy the passwords were entered after pausing the game with the W key. As both games were programmed by Cameron Else, I assumed that he had used the same method in Manic Miner. This was the key to finding them and made it very easy to find passwords that without that information would have been hard to find.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login