Generation-MSX

Many more Korean games

Posted by derboo 
Re: Many more Korean games
March 11, 2010 11:13PM
OK, just let us know if you find something out... Can you read and translate the Hangul on the Super Penguin scan? Also, it would be helpful if you could put it in Hangul here, so I can use it as the original title.

Thanks for your great support!

Grtjs, Manuel

PS: MSX FOR EVER! (Questions? [faq.msxnet.org] )
PPS: Visit my homepage at [manuel.msxnet.org]
March 12, 2010 10:36AM
The title is just a transcription of the English one: 슈퍼 펭귄

In the upper left corner it reads "for use with Daewoo Electronics Zemmix"
May 19, 2010 09:44PM
You probably guessed it, but now I can confirm the existence of Super Bioman I, II and III. Done by "Hello Soft", they started being advertised together all of a sudden in mid-1992.

Unfortunately, I've got no screenshots, but the cover artwork from the advertisement. I've only taken a photo of part 1, as all three are exactly the same save for the number.
Attachments:
open | download - superbioman.jpg (79 KB)
May 23, 2010 06:34PM
Is it clear that they are not the same as Super Boy I, II and III?

Do you have any other info? Is there any hope that you'll ever get screenshots or even dumps? Were they actually released or only advertised and then canceled?

Grtjs, Manuel

May 24, 2010 04:11PM
Everything post-1987 couldn't have been just copied and advertised in a magazine with another title. It is possible (even likely, IMHO) they were based on other games, though (Like Super Bioman 4 is based on Clover's Super Bros. World I, whith switched graphics and stages).

As for getting better info and maybe even software, it depends. I'm scouting several Korean message boards and stores, but all Korean 8-bit stuff is really rare, as people would have rather gotten pirate carts of Japanese games. And especially in 1992, the Zemmix was as good as dead.

It probably would be better to frequent flea markets in towns other than Seoul, as most stuff that's left here is most likely already divided among fierce collectors (the kind that keeps 5 copies of the same rare item in their closet). It's all a question of luck to get stuff.

About the released/cancelled issue, the only way to truly find out for pre-1994 titles is to find a copy of the software (which is very hard in most cases, as mentioned above). There are only hints that can be used to deduce that it's likely they've been released:

- Super Bioman 4 has been released for sure, as that one is dumped
- Super Bioman 4 isn't exactly an elaborate development, if it's all just edits of Super Bros World I, it would have been easy for them to churn out lots of them in a short time
- Nothing in the ad assumes that those games are "coming soon" articles, reading them one would get the impression one could go to the store and buy them immediately.

No proof at all, of course, but rather strong indicators given the subject.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 01:47AM by derboo.
June 13, 2010 02:42PM
I added part I, can you (for completeness sake) also get me the scans of the 2 other parts, although they are almost identical?

Can you explain why part 4 has a different company? Segye-ro Electronics and Zemina is what we have now...

Hello Soft was not known in the database... do you know them from something else?

Grtjs, Manuel

June 18, 2010 08:36PM
Check this out: [www.hardcoregaming101.net]

Grtjs, Manuel

June 18, 2010 09:01PM
derboo, can we put the texts from your article into the Generation MSX database? So company profiles, logos and author information, etc.

Grtjs, Manuel

June 19, 2010 04:09PM
With logos, data, images, etc., that would be no problem. As for full text like in the profiles, would it be possible to put a source link to HG101? I don't want people thinking later one site stole from the other (happened once with a reposted text by me elsewhere, even despite the link was there).

I've attached pictures for the other Super Bioman games (a little blurry, sorry, maybe I can get better ones later) and a new game:

Tom & Jerry
톰과 제리
Year: 1986
Developer: Static Soft
Publisher: Aproman
(the game was released on SPC-1000 and MSX, it's not possible to tell which version the screenshot was made of, but they're likely to look identical, anyway).
Attachments:
open | download - superbioman.jpg (118.1 KB)
open | download - tomandjerry-screen.jpg (105.8 KB)
June 19, 2010 04:15PM
And one more:

Gongmojip 2
공모집 2
Year: 1986
Developer: This is a compilation of three games from a contest, programmed by individual persons, would it be OK to state Topia as the developer, as they technically composed the compilation?
Publisher: Topia
(same screenshot issues as with Tom & Jerry)

As for the other image (boramae.jpg), do you know if that game is in the database? I strongly suspect it to be a bootleg of a Japanese game, but I don't know the original...
Attachments:
open | download - topiagongmojip2-1.jpg (19.5 KB)
open | download - boramae.jpg (48.5 KB)
June 20, 2010 05:56PM
I'm now processing all this new info... Thanks a million! I really love your very complete article! Feel free to link to YouTube videos of some games (e.g. I made some of For the Day II and if you like, I can add more later!).

Found that Static Soft also did/published the Korean version of Hydlide, see [www.generation-msx.nl]
By the way, I doubt that the screenshot of Tom & Jerry is the same on MSX and SPC-1000, aren't SPC-1000 ports often a lot less colourful?

Can you explain why part 4 of Super Bioman has a different company? Segye-ro Electronics and Zemina is what we have now...

Hello Soft was not known in the database... do you know them from something else?

I'm asking around if someone recognizes that boramae pic.

Grtjs, Manuel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 08:56PM by Manuel.
June 21, 2010 02:08AM
Manuel Wrote:
> By the way, I doubt that the screenshot of Tom &
> Jerry is the same on MSX and SPC-1000, aren't
> SPC-1000 ports often a lot less colourful?

Static Soft's own developed games were almost all for the SPC-1000, so my guess would be that they did that version first and then simply ported it to MSX. I could be wrong, though.

> Can you explain why part 4 of Super Bioman has a
> different company? Segye-ro Electronics and Zemina
> is what we have now...

There's a number of explanations I could imagine (company renamed, company bought, or both may in reality have just been the publisher, with some freelance guys actually programming/hacking the software), but I got no clue what actually happened, unfortunately. Everything MSX related from 1992 (and later) is hardly documented at all, as the Zemmix was pretty much abandoned by then.

> Hello Soft was not known in the database... do you
> know them from something else?

Only ever saw the name on the advertisement. The ad itself was from a software store.

> Found that Static Soft also did/published the
> Korean version of Hydlide, see

All those Korean bootleg releases are quite a beast by themselves. What are your standards for adding them to the database? Do you need coverscans? If mere proof of the releases' existence is enough, I've got hundreds of titles listed in advertisements, sales top 10 charts, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2010 02:22AM by derboo.
June 21, 2010 02:36AM
Oh, I almost forgot, I found a Korean blog post about Seulgidori a while ago, showing that the actual developer was Space (I've seen that name before, I think they may have also sold bootlegs?). It is also subtitled 5학년 (5th grade), which could mean that there were different cartridges for more grades.

[blog.naver.com]
June 21, 2010 07:24PM
Here are logos for Uttum and Saeron, taken from advertisements.

I also expanded the entry on the Topia Gongmo-jip in my article with more info and better images...

If you look at the profile for Open, their first game, Wonder Kid, was also available for MSX. The screenshots come from the Master System version, but judging by the reviews available for the game, it was one of the many identical conversions.

I also got one screenshot for the MSX version of Dooly in the Daou profile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2010 07:32PM by derboo.
Attachments:
open | download - logos.zip (26.1 KB)
June 21, 2010 11:01PM
derboo Wrote:
> All those Korean bootleg releases are quite a
> beast by themselves. What are your standards for
> adding them to the database? Do you need
> coverscans? If mere proof of the releases'
> existence is enough, I've got hundreds of titles
> listed in advertisements, sales top 10 charts,
> etc.

Well, a cover or a screenshot showing a modified logo is usually the reason to include it. At least it shows that the bootlegger put some work in it :)

I updated the Seulgidori entry. (It's not in your article yet?) I wonder what's in all that 512kB... I bet it's tricky to ask this blogger for a ROM dump? :)

I'm not sure enough of the Wonder Kid screenshots to add them... Or am I too careful here?

Thanks again for all your info, should be all updated again :)

Grtjs, Manuel

June 22, 2010 01:39AM
Manuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Well, a cover or a screenshot showing a modified
> logo is usually the reason to include it. At least
> it shows that the bootlegger put some work in it
> :)

I've got a handful of ads that show the covers, I'll search for them in my files later.

> I updated the Seulgidori entry. (It's not in your
> article yet?) I wonder what's in all that 512kB...
> I bet it's tricky to ask this blogger for a ROM
> dump? :)

I can ask, but I might not get an answer. My guess would be that if he was inclined to and knew how to dump the rom, he would have done it already...

Didn't include it in my article because for the games outside of the company profiles, I only pick the ones that have some special importance or I've got something in particular to say about. I probably should include it in the overall game index for basic info and a screenshot with the next major update, though.

> I'm not sure enough of the Wonder Kid screenshots
> to add them... Or am I too careful here?

Your call. Given the poor quality of the shots, not too much would be lost without them, anyway. :)
June 22, 2010 08:16PM
OK, now all I need is that your triggers will keep coming if new info becomes available :) Thanks, you rock! :)

Grtjs, Manuel

June 24, 2010 09:59AM
Do you also document cheat codes? I found some for Devil Zone:

Pause the game(F1), type in the codes and press enter.
superatom: 99 stars
horsehead: 40 lives
hellomongo: next stage (works only once)
evilspyramio: last stage
dangerlbs: get items
manso: cheaper weapons

Attached is an ad from 1986 by Topya and Sammi Computer. Games published by Sammi Computer are marked as such, everything else is by Topia. I've transcribed all the titles I could (as they're not yet advertised as Zemmix games, it's almost certain that its all tape releases). Some might be difficult to determine because of changed titles:

page 1

row 1
Knightlore 나이트 로아
Formation Z
(no title)
The Hobbit
(apple game)

row 2
Elevator Action
Outroyd 아우트로이드
Star Force 스타포스
트리톤 (Triton?)
(apple game)

row 3
Z2000
Nightshade (나이트 쉐이드)
윙맨 (Wingman?)
Eagle Fighter 이글화이터
(apple game)

row 4
? (Little Mermaid?)
페이로드 (Pay Road? Pay Load?, by Sammi Computer)
프로축구 (Pro Soccer?, by Sammi Computer)
펭귄랜드 (Penguin Land)
(apple game)

row 5
Police Story
Cosmo-Explorer 코스모 익스포러
Bruce Lee ("From USA")
Dragon Slayer 드래곤 슬레이어
Fharanx 훠런크스

page 2

row 1
보잉-737 (Boeing 737)
Back to the Future
Bokosuka Wars (by Sammi Computer)
Rambo
Macross (마크로스, by Sammi Computer)

row 2
(apple game)
(apple game)
너구리의 大冒險 (ばってんタヌキの大冒険 Raccoon Dog, by Sammi Computer)
King's Valley (킹스베리)
Flicky (프리키, by Sammi Computer)

row 3
(apple game)
(apple game)
미드나이트 브라더스 (Midnight Brothers, by Sammi Computer)
Queens Golf 퀸스골프 (by Sammi Computer)
The Goonies 구니스 (by Sammi Computer)

row 4
(apple game)
(apple game)
(spc-1000 game)
"펭귄 wars" (Penguin Wars, by Sammi Computer)
Laptick 2 (by Sammi Computer)

row 5
"G.P.월드" (G.P. World, by Sammi Computer)
Lode Runner II 로드런너II (by Sammi Computer)
록큰볼트 Rock 'n Bolt (by Sammi Computer)

page 3

row 1
(fc-150 game)
(fc-150 game)
Heist
Mystery House 2
Boulder Dash

row 2
BC's Quest for Tires (쿠에스트)
Alcazar
The Castle 캐슬
Knightmare
__ 소림사 III

row 3
A View To A Kill
치마군단 Chima Chima
Warroid 로보트 전쟁
Pro Tector 프로텍터
쿵후 II 황제의 역습 (Yie Ar Kung-Fu 2)

row 4
Attack 여자 배구 (The Korean Title says "Women Volley Ball")
Hang On
Amoricon
Mr. Blagger 괴도브래거
월드컵 (World Cup)

page 4

row 1
Dunkshot
Bank Panic
"마법사 Wiz" (Magical Kid Wiz)
Master of the Lamps 요술램프
Perseus

row 2
Eggerland Mystery
Jet Set Willy
Twinbee 트윈비
그록의복수 Grog's Revenge
인자병법

row 3
EXOIDE-Z
___
신드바드의 모험 ("Sindbad's Adventure")
황금의묘 (Golden Grave, by Sammi Computer)
Jump Jet

row 4
Oil's Well
Crusader 십자군 병사
Hydlide
(spc-1000 game)
SF Zone 1999 (by Sammi Computer)

There was another ad in the next issue, but I only took a picture of Ninja Princess (__ 프린세스 by Sammi Computer) as I noticed it was new. There might be something else, I'll see if I can get more complete pics later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 10:02AM by derboo.
Attachments:
open | download - topiaad.zip (1.55 MB)
June 25, 2010 10:07PM
Wow, that's indeed a huge load of Japanese and English games bootlegged by Topia and Sammi...

Hmm, I suddenly see what you mean... this is probably not doable to add them all.

Grtjs, Manuel

June 25, 2010 11:19PM
Yeah, the whole industry was built upon bootlegging, as it was legal in Korea until 1987 (and pre-1987-copyright games were still legal to bootleg afterwards, so it continued for a while). Similar amounts of releases exist for each of the other bootlegging companies (Prosoft, Clover, Zemina, Aproman, as well as to a lesser degree by smaller producers like Mickey Soft, Screen Software, Softmen, Static Soft, and a few others whose names I don't remember right now. Most others are not as well-documented by advertisements, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login