Generation-MSX

Some ideas

Posted by Manuel 
Some ideas
June 14, 2006 02:05PM
Hi

Some ideas for the site: apart from a screenshot-uploader-top-5, how about adding a gamecover-top as well?

By the way, Sandy, thanks for fixing the screenshot problems.

Grtjs, Manuel

PS: MSX FOR EVER! (Questions? [faq.msxnet.org] )
PPS: Visit my homepage at [manuel.msxnet.org]
Re: Some ideas
June 23, 2006 01:09AM
Check the front page for the Cover top 5 :)
June 23, 2006 10:43AM
Cool, thanks! :)

It seems I have 2 separate accounts though :) Ah well.

Grtjs, Manuel

June 23, 2006 10:50AM
Yeah, I will fix it tonight :)
June 23, 2006 01:57PM
Here´s suggestion which is a must.

Many games cannot be described under just one genre, like "ELITE" is not just "strategy", it´s also space-combat-simulation and trading game.

Same applies to really MANY games.

So I suggest generation-msx must have possibility to add multiple genres. 5:o)

That would end at least some of those "how can I select correct genre to this game, as it can be placed under several genres?" problems.

MSX-Regards,
Mäsäxi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2007 12:39AM by sylvester.
June 23, 2006 07:39PM
Well, if we're listing ideas anyway, I still have the following feature requests (already passed to Sandy via IRC as well):

[1] a way to see the complete game list of Aackosoft, including subcompanies like Eaglesoft (publisher only! some people put it as developer, but it's purely publishing), Bytebusters (developer only, published by Eaglesoft), Methodic Solutions (rename of Bytebusters? Developer only), Premium III (purely publisher, rename of Eaglesoft?), Eurosoft (another follow up of Bytebusters/Methodic Solutions?). This would be nice, because for all these companies the product ID's are all in line with each other (because it's all Aacko-crew; later called VA Holding, lead by Paul van Aacken.)

[2] a way to do sanity checks, like: lists of companies which have no software associated with them, list of software without releases, etc.

[3] a way to indicate that a software was only released on a collection

[4] a template function: add a new software based on an existing title. For some software there's little difference (only title and product ID, e.g.)

[5] a way to add more than one developer, because some are joined efforts. This would get rid of the last develoeprs with names like "HAL Laboratory / Sony".

[6] live search on every result page (maybe in a different layout, to make it a wide but not very high box), so that it's faster to find stuff from a result page

[7] Notes of a screenshot also displayed on the pop up that you get if you click on the screenshot (the normal sized view)

[8] Unify countries in one table. I wanted to add a Brazillian company, but Brazil wasn't in the list of companies. When I went to the 'country menu', it apperead that there was a totally different list of companies there and there's no way to add Brazil to the company country list.

[9] a way to get a quick overview of where covers are totally missing and a quick way to add them (it's quite laborious now)

[10] search on title should also hit collections with that title, the a.k.a. title and the titles of releases

[11] add a possibility to upload screenshot for releases (when different)

Maybe some of those are already implemented, but most are not, AFAIK.

Grtjs, Manuel

June 23, 2006 11:45PM
Hi, nice list :)

[7] Done
[11] Done

The rest will follow....
June 24, 2006 12:07AM
About [7]: I actually meant Notes for a game cover! :) Sorry about that.

Grtjs, Manuel

June 24, 2006 12:24AM
I agree with the points Manuel made.

With regards to [1]. Why only Aacksoft? It should be done for al companies in the db (but I agree that Aackosoft is an interesting case).
June 24, 2006 12:41AM
Aackosoft was just an example. Sorry for being unclear.

Grtjs, Manuel

June 24, 2006 01:30AM
About [10]: should work for the Livesearch as well. (Try to find Uşas now, if you spell it as Usas....)

Grtjs, Manuel

June 24, 2006 12:32PM
Oh, we can also start a bug list:

[1] When using a quote (') in a Notes field, it ends up as \' in the web page

[2] Unicode doesnt' work properly in this forum, see my previous post. It works fine in the games db, check the Usas (with s-cedille, actually pronounced as You-Shaz) entry :)

Grtjs, Manuel

June 25, 2006 08:39PM
[13] In the backend you can't often see the difference between 2 releases, It would help if the medium would be shown in the view as well. (It's often a disk and a cart release, but you can't see which is which if the product ID's aren't known...)

Grtjs, Manuel

June 27, 2006 11:13PM
[7] Fixed, alle images are opend in a popup window now.
[13] Fixed

And as a bonus I extended the monthly hits [www.generation-msx.nl] with developers and publishers.
June 28, 2006 12:34AM
OK, great, thanks! Only 9 wishlisth items and 2 bugs remaining... (for now :P)

Grtjs, Manuel

June 28, 2006 12:45AM
[10] search and livesearch both search in title and aka fields, Still have to think about a way for also searching in the compilations and release titles.
June 28, 2006 11:14PM
[8] Done
June 30, 2006 10:20AM
Thanks! I added Sharp-Epcom, the Brazillian company that produced the Hotbit stuff in Brazil and also released bootlegs of MSX software on cartridge with their own name on it. Check the game list!

Can someone add the missing entries? The Epcom carts have a clear product ID and there are many missing, still.

Grtjs, Manuel

August 22, 2006 09:43AM
I thought it was a feature request, but in the backend when editing a software title you will now have a history tab that shows when it's inserted/updated and by who.
August 22, 2006 09:45AM
I also changed the charset of the forum to utf-8. I hope this fixes bug 2 mentioned above.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login